Solo Competition Rules
The BYU Trumpet Festival will host a High School and an Undergraduate solo competition on Saturday, February 2, 2020 at the BYU Trumpet Festival. This festival is sponsored and organized by the Utah Trumpet Guild.
1. Competition repertoire. Competitors will perform a solo composition with piano accompaniment of their own choice that is 8 minutes or less in duration. The performance will be stopped (without penalty) at the 8 minute mark.
2. Age requirements. The High School division is open for all students enrolled in high school, or home schooled, and who are 18 years of age or younger. Students in junior high are welcome to apply if they wish.
The Undergraduate division is open for all students currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. The age limit is 18-25. Graduate students are not eligible.
3. Pianists. All performers are required to use the competition pianists. A rehearsal will be provided for each performer. Competition rehearsal and performance schedule will be released by January 15, 2020.
4. Fee. Each competitor is required to register for the festival. This fee is $20 prior to December 31, 2019. There will be an additional $30 fee added which will go directly to the pianist. This payment will be required at the time of registration. Be sure to mark that you will compete in the competition.
5. Prizes. Three prizes will be awarded in each category. First prize will include a $1,000 scholarship. Additional prizes will be announced soon.
6. Jury. The competition jury will be comprised of guest artists at the BYU trumpet festival. Specific jurors will be announced at the competition.
7. Registration. Students entering the competition must register prior to January 5, 2020. Competitors will receive a final confirmation email once they have completed the registration form, paid the $50 fee, and submitted the piano score for their work. Failure to complete each step before January 5 will result in dismissal from the competition.
8. Competition Size. Due to time restraints, each division will be limited to 25 competitors. The first 25 competitors in each division to apply will be accepted.
9. Questions. All questions should be addressed to:
Jason Bergman, D.M.A.
Associate Professor of Trumpet, BYU